The Five precepts or five rules of training is the most important system of morality for Buddhist lay people.
The five precepts are as follows:
- Abstention from killing living beings Kindness and compassion Right to life
- Abstention from theft Generosity and renunciation Right of property
- Abstention from sexual misconduct Contentment and respect for faithfulness Right to fidelity in marriage
- Abstention from falsehood Being honest and dependable Right of human dignity
- Abstention from intoxication